Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Grandma came to visit!

My mom came to visit last week. She makes everything better and more full of life. We started our weeks adventure with a trip to NYC. One of my best friends from high school was married there and we thought it was a great excuse to go to the Big City together. We had a blast - can you tell?

My mom's brother and his wife are serving as mission presidents for our church in the New York New York North mission - we loved visiting with them and seeing their world for the next few years. The missionaries in New York are lucky to have them, and we were lucky to stay with them. Here are a few pictures...They live in Scarsdale and it is FANTASTIC. A real escape from the city. Notice the license plates? You can take the man out of the farm, but you can't take the farm out of the man.... It really was a treat to be with them and hear about their adventures.

Stay tuned for more pictures of the wedding - it was beautiful.

After our adventure in NY - and it was an adventure filled with planes, trains, subways, taxis, getting lost, street vendors, and a transformation in the H&M mens bathroom, we came back to Alabama for my mom to spend a week with these guys.Oh how they love her! Trey told me just the other day that if he could sleep with anyone it would be grandma. Every night the kids would run into her room instead of ours. She took them to school, ate lunch at Trey's school with him and made sure to spoil them rotten any chance she got.

She also spoils me with energy. Seriously she is like the energizer bunny and I swear I do more in a week with her here than I do in a month without her. Here are a few of our projects:


Our kitchen began to look complete with her help. She whipped together the decor on top of our china hutch and helped me pick out the rug.
Flower bows anyone? She and I made these one night.

And now JK has her very own chair. My mom gives each grandchild a chair for them to enjoy as they grow.

All of these projects and treats taken to friends, boards painted for an upcoming trunk show as well as a fun day of shopping complete with a new scarf, plaid shirt and a halloween outfit for JK.... whew I need her around all the time!

Another thing that my mom did that I want to always remember; she planned a special night to honor Julia, Lars' mother. She made her favorite dinner of hamburger gravy and we decorated the table with Julia's favorites. Then we toasted (with Julia's favorite drink) to all of our wonderful memories of her. My mom told the kids how much she loved their other grandmother and how special she was and how much Julia loved each of them. Then we all went for a walk - the boys were told to look for things on the ground and wouldn't you know that my mom had 'planted' money along our route for them to find, another one of Julia's favorite past times. We talked all about how Julia would walk and walk collecting money as she went - the boys LOVED it.

We will keep this tradition alive.

We love you Grandma - we miss you more than you know. Thank you for spending this last week with us. We can't wait to see you again - LOVE YOU!

11 comments:

Bev October 13, 2009 at 12:56 PM  

what is the exact green color in your house??? I want your mom to come and visit me!!!

Bev October 13, 2009 at 12:58 PM  

one more thing!

I just think it is cute that you that you have a "JK" and I have a "KJ"

they are going to best friends forever i think!

mindy October 13, 2009 at 1:14 PM  

oh I am in tears. What a sweet sweet thing to do for your kids--your mom is one in a million.

can she swing by Colombia?

Nicole Bolinger October 13, 2009 at 2:11 PM  

Love the kitchen! Seriously it's great!!! AND the supper is so sweet!!! Love that idea!

McCleary Family Fun October 13, 2009 at 2:34 PM  

I love your blog. HEy, maybe your mom can visit me too.

Dana October 14, 2009 at 6:34 AM  

Oh man what a fun mom you have. I love the idea of having a little dinner in honor of Julia. Just in time for her birthday right? What did Lars think?

The Longnecker Zoo October 16, 2009 at 1:47 PM  

What a good woman she is. I love her too. I feel like she's my family as well. THat brought a tear to my eye about the "Julia" night. How special!

Also, LOVE LOVE LOVE the kitchen. It is WONDERFUL!!!!!

Kirby October 18, 2009 at 1:03 PM  

So fun! I wish my mom could come visit. Your kitchen area is SO cute! I need to see more pictures of your house!

bnsampson October 19, 2009 at 11:17 AM  

I wish I was there.... you guys had way too much fun. Oh I need the recipe for your pumpkin bars!!

Wardell Family October 23, 2009 at 6:51 PM  

Love love love this post! The pillows you made for Julia Karen are darling in person and on this site. I love your rug in the kitchen. It is seriously perfect.

Heather November 10, 2009 at 6:14 PM  

Love the way your kitchen looks, Candi! And, flower bows are totally addictive. Very cute though!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP