Thursday, November 19, 2009

Thanksgiving

Trey's school does a fantastic Thanksgiving feast for the kindergartners. The children spend the day learning and participating in activities that teach them all about the pilgrims and Native Americans. Our class was in charge of "Indian Music". The kids made rain sticks at our station and then four of us parents led the kids in songs and chants around the fire. We danced, chanted and sang for two hours straight! I loved every minute of it! By the end I had lost my voice and it was so worth it! The kids went to a trading post station, a basket weaving class, jewelry making class, popcorn and story time and a game stop as well as ours.

A funny story - I thought for sure I was suppose to dress Trey up like a pilgrim. So yesterday I got everything to make him a pilgrim costume.... thankfully the principal sent out a phone message telling students what to wear (just their filed trip shirts and jeans). If it weren't for that message Trey would have been going into school today with black pants tucked into white knee socks with a big white collar and a black hat on - I can't help but to laugh when I think of how close I came to seriously scarring the poor kid. So then today as I got ready in my "Indian" costume Lars said how funny it would be if I was the only parent who dressed up. I told him no way - I was sure they had asked parents to dress up. Well as I walked through the park and saw parent after parent NOT dressed up all I could do was giggle. Finally I got to my station and another girl had dressed up and the room mom had brought head dresses for everyone - whew now only my singing and dancing around a fake fire doing politically incorrect chants would embarrass me.


The kids LOVED this field trip. In the spirit of Thanksgiving let it be said I am thankful for the schools my children attend and the teachers who teach them and love them each day!

5 comments:

klonghall November 20, 2009 at 5:24 PM  

You are such a cool mom! Isn't Elementary School stuff like this so fun! Abby had her Thanksgiving Musical show on Thursday. She can teach all the kids some Thanksgiving songs next week! I'm glad Trey was saved from the plight of being the only kid dressed like a pilgrim. That would be the kind of thing a kid never forgets!

The Longnecker Zoo November 21, 2009 at 7:30 AM  

Oh my gosh! I am laughing so hard at the mental pictures I have. It's much better that you dressed up instead of Trey...less trama! You are a fun and cool Mom!!!!

mindy November 21, 2009 at 8:07 AM  

You should have still sent him dressed up, just for the memories. Next time, huh?

you are one awesome mom!

diegohall December 1, 2009 at 12:51 PM  

Candi, why didn't you wear your Pocahontas outfit to thanksgiving dinner???

We are really glad y'all stayed at our house. We had lots of fun.

Donnie

heidi December 7, 2009 at 7:28 PM  

i miss alabama so much. especially fungomery.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP