Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Waiting for Superman

Have you seen Waiting for Superman? The movie hits a little close to home right now. Our own lottery happened on Monday and now we wait to hear about the future for our little guy.



We live in a historical district close to downtown and each day we wave to our neighbors as we pass each other driving to different schools (some going to magnet schools others to private schools) - each of us passing our local elementary without a second glance. As much as I want to take a second glance I know that I am not going to put my child in a failing environmnent. And yet that is our local school. For various reasons I struggle with the idea of ptivate schools and we decided a long time ago those were off the table.(and yes one of those reasons is the cost - 10,000 a year at some!!!)

So our children interview and test to get into a public academic magnet school here - one that feeds into one of the top 25 public high schools in our country. Only 80 are taken in the first round, 20 in the second round with an estimated 350+ applicants.

Can you hear my upset stomach from where you are reading this - because it is turning something fierce as we WAIT....

UPDATE: HE IS IN!!!!!!

5 comments:

Bethany March 9, 2011 at 7:11 PM  

We are in a similar situation here. Our local neighborhood school is terrible. We ended up entering a lottery to get my oldest into a local Charter School instead. She actually didn't make it in with the first draw, but then two days before Kindergarten started, they called and we were in! I was totally prepared to homeschool otherwise - that's how strongly I felt about not sending her to our public school.
She is a first grader now and we really love the charter school.
I hope it all works out for you guys!

Scott L March 12, 2011 at 11:10 AM  

Good luck to the little guy!

Dana March 14, 2011 at 6:50 AM  

There was school like that in Alaska. I so wanted my kids to get in but it never worked out. I think about the public school there and it rocks over anything we have here. Its just disgusting here. Hope to hear good news for your little guy!!!

klonghall March 15, 2011 at 10:10 AM  

I've been so worried about all this, so I'm glad Dad told me that you'd posted that he got in. Whew! Go Tobs!

Heather March 18, 2011 at 12:23 PM  

Who wouldn't want that little cutie? No worries.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP