Friday, January 9, 2009

It's Not A Tumor

So who knew those words from the movie Kindergarten Cop would bring me such relief one day. But today was that day.

Back in October I was sent to a cardiologist because of heart palpitations (from what I understand this is fairly normal in pregnant women). While I was at the cardiologist they did an ultrasound of my heart. When the ultrasound was taking over 30 minutes both Lars and I knew something might be up. Sure enough when the cardiologist came in to see what was going on the tech said, "I need to show you something". Not something you want to hear when you are having someone look at your heart. I was told to come back in after the baby was born to get a better look. He told me that what they might have seen was called a myxoma but told me not to google it and that it was probably nothing.

So turns out a myxoma is a tumor on the heart. If I had it, I would have to have surgery to remove it.

So for the last two and a half months I have been dealing with the fact that I might have a tumor on my heart and that if I did I would have to have surgery to remove it. I found this out a couple days before Halloween and I remember walking with my famiy and friends trick or treating and just thinking to myself that this could not be happening to me. Then baby girl came and the fears of having this tumor became so real and scary that there were days that I would lie in my bed scared of everything (at this time I knew enough to know that a myxoma could cause a stroke or worse). Some days I would just be scared that I would have to have surgery and wouldn't be able to hold my new baby or pick up Toby or have Trey cuddle with me.

Well today I had what is called a transesophagalechocardiogram. They gave me an IV, put me out, and put a scope through my esophagus to get a better picture of my heart. They didn't see anything. When I came too the nurse was able to tell me right away that everything was clear and that they didn't find anything. Lars came in shortly after that and the Dr had already gone over everything with him.

Aaahhh sweet relief!

Now I have a sore throat and a headache, but hey I'll take that anyday! So thanks to everyone who has been thinking of me and helping me get through these last few months. Our family of friends here are fantastic and I have felt their love and I am so grateful for it as well as the love and concern that I have from mine and Lars' families.

I am also grateful for prayers. I have been asked by doctors if they can pray with me, I have been on church prayer rolls (from people of all different faiths) and I have felt that strength.

So here's to not having a tumor - now I think I will go get a milkshake because man is my throat sore...

14 comments:

Tammy January 9, 2009 at 4:14 PM  

Aaawww sweet relief is right! I was so happy when I heard! Congrats on the no tumor! :)

Tammy

The Takemoto Family January 9, 2009 at 5:32 PM  

Fantastic!!! You certainly deserve a milkshake :) (and I think a trip up north to visit your girls might be a good congratulatory gift as well!)

klonghall January 9, 2009 at 5:49 PM  

And a Caramel Apple Cider from Starbucks! Heck, and anything else you might want. You have leverage today! We are all so grateful. It's nice to get good answers to prayers. You know how much I need some of those. :-) Heavenly Father and I had a good chat today about that. Thanks for calling me so quickly, so I could stop worrying this morning.

Nicole Bolinger January 9, 2009 at 8:41 PM  

Yeah!!!!! I am sooo excited! I knew it...I know it's a huge relief. That was a whole heck of a lot going on at once. Candi, you are stronger than you give yourself credit for.

Dana January 10, 2009 at 7:03 AM  

What a sickening thing to have to be thinking about for so long. My question is why in the world would the doc tell you what they thought it was. Any normal person is going to go home and find out what it is. He should have said we think we see something but we aren't sure. We will have to run more test after you have the baby. What a stupid doc. I am very glad that you are okay though. And you now get to rest your mind!!!

Scott L January 10, 2009 at 3:14 PM  

Scary! I need to go have my heart checked now! I'm freakin' out!

The Longnecker Zoo January 11, 2009 at 8:31 AM  

I'll toast to that one (I am raising my Diet Dr. Pepper high!!!)! Candi, I am sorry that you of all people have to deal with this kind of stuff. We all love you and miss you.

Jessica January 11, 2009 at 5:14 PM  

Candi,
we are so glad to hear the good news. You have been in our thoughts and prayers. Heavenly Father has blessed you with a wonderful husband and beautiful children. You are so blessed. Can't wait to see you soon.

Shelby January 13, 2009 at 10:42 AM  

I had no idea you were going through this!! I am so grateful. I love you too pieces!!

Dawn January 13, 2009 at 6:11 PM  
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kirby January 15, 2009 at 3:13 AM  

Wow, so scary. I had no idea. I´m glad to hear everything is all clear!

The Allred Family January 18, 2009 at 4:55 PM  

Candi, I had no idea! I am glad that all is well. How is it going with three kids? I promise it gets a little easier! Love you,
KAtie

Yahnira Backus a.k.a. "Mommy" January 21, 2009 at 12:39 PM  

I wish I would have known earlier. I had so much going on in MY life that I was totally clueless. I know prayers were answered, that's for sure! I am so glad that you got a clean bill of health. You are a remarkable woman!

Bev January 31, 2009 at 8:33 PM  

wow, I can say a thank you prayer and from now on I will be more in the know! I love you.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP