Friday, June 8, 2012

End of school

The boys finished up their school year with an 'honors ceremony' at school. Because this blog is a way to keep a journal for our family and since the boys don't read it, I can be honest about the highs and the lows that we go through in our family adventures. We are at an academic magnet school that we LOVE. There has never been a question that this school was 'right' for Trey. Things come VERY easy for Trey. He easily gets straight A's without much effort on our part as his parents. He is gifted and beyond his years intellectually - I don't say that to brag - if you know Trey and if you know his dad you know that some people are just born brilliant and that is their gift. They are lucky devils - I was not born with that gift - I am a worker and I believe in doing hard things and that we can push ourselves to greatness. Toby is more like me and for that reason I have struggled to know if this school is 'right' for him. While I am so proud of Trey and his prinicpal's award and top accelerated reader award (he read all the Harry Potter books this year among many, many others), I am extremely proud of Toby this year. He pushed himself all year and wanted to work towards greatness. He started in the lowest reading group and worked his way up to the middle group. He became obsessed with taking AR tests. He has developed a strong understanding of addition and subtraction and although we still have to work on his speed in these areas - he wants to get better. At the end of the honors ceremony the principal said that the last award was the most important award of all - it was the good character award. Each day the school recited a good character pledge and the kids in each class were asked to vote for a student that best portrayed these characteristics. Toby's class voted for him - he beamed - we beamed - his teacher beamed - we are all still beaming! Way to go boys, you are both gifted and loved. On to a much deserved summer break!

5 comments:

michelangelo June 8, 2012 at 9:24 AM  

This gave me goose bumps. Go Trey and Toby!

Kelsey @ just 2 birds June 8, 2012 at 9:52 AM  

Mom told me this story yesterday and I've been waiting to see the post about it! :) Both of those boys are amazing and I love them to pieces!

klonghall June 9, 2012 at 6:56 AM  

Love it! 'Can't wait to spend some time with these cute little boys this summer!

Unknown March 11, 2013 at 8:15 AM  

Hi, it is unusual to stumble onto another family with the last name of Longnecker, especially in the south. We are in Chattanooga.
We need to catch up.
Call me sometime.
Mark Longnecker 423-643-4109

Anonymous October 17, 2018 at 7:04 AM  

Hi Mark!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP