Monday, April 27, 2009

Confederate Memorial Day


Happy Confederate Memorial Day!

Perhaps some of you didn't know that such a thing existed -well it does and in honor of it and this glorious state of Alabama that gives Lars this day off each year I would like to post some things I love about the South (ok Alabama specifically) - Good and Bad.

Shoes are optional - rockin! I loathe socks! Oh wait, it's really just the kids that don't wear shoes down here...

Lemonade and sweet tea abound- doesn't it just feel like you should have a tall glass right now and come swing with me on my screened in front porch - you know you want to.

The words "Bless Her Heart" allows you to say anything. For instance; while I was pregnant many people would say: "Bless your heart you look like you are going to explode" Nice. or another favorite "Bless your heart you just can't get anywhere on time can you?" Awesome. Thank goodness my heart has been blessed before you stabbed it!

Yes Mam - good ol' southern charm at its finest. I even like that my kids are being taught to say it.

Wednesday is church night for EVERYONE down here. Seriously nobody plans things on Wednesday night because it is church night for all religions.

Sweet Home Alabama - the song that is. Once I was waiting in a doctors office and a woman was called back while the song was being performed on a TV talk show - the woman said "not until our anthem is finished".

Now any of you true southerners add to this list and Happy CMD to YA'LL (you like that, don't ya).

7 comments:

Dana April 27, 2009 at 3:32 PM  

I love that your husband gets the day off for that. I don't think that Mississippi does that even though we are southern. I love that we can wear flip flops almost year round. I loath socks as well. And I love that everyone calls me Miss Dana. I love being here in the south and hope we stay here.

Nicole Bolinger April 27, 2009 at 5:58 PM  

I LOVE IT!!!! YOu just wish you were w true southerner like me....bless your heart! ;)

klonghall April 29, 2009 at 7:27 AM  

It's so nice when someone can move here to the south and see the charm and learn to love it...instead of griping about how much better it was in ____. I love living here in the south for many of the same reasons. Here's a couple more: Chick-fil-a started here! You can say things about religion, and no one thinks twice about it. People of all faiths pray for you when you are in need. I wonder how many prayer circles had my mother's name on it while she was sick? I love mild winters. When I tell people on the soccer team that we don't play on Sunday, they respect that. Here's an odd one: A viewing at a funeral home is a great comfort to a family who has just lost someone. I love how everyone gathers and remembers and tells stories. I think every region should adopt that tradition.

Candi, we're glad you are here in the South with us, too!

diegohall April 30, 2009 at 1:23 PM  

Here are some things that I like about the south:
1)trees - especially dogwoods in the spring (I went turkey hunting on Saturday and the woods were AMAZING!)
2)Florida - even though it is full of Yankees year-round it is still a great place. :D
3)Swamps. Kim thinks I'm crazy but I love Southern swamps. Gators, snakes, and all.

Ok, here are some that I DON'T like:
1) Fire Ants!
2) the heat. Seriously - how did people live here before A/C was invented? My birthday is Aug. 15 so the heat pretty much ruined any plans of a birthday party as a kid. A friend of mine from Wisconsin once reminded me that I never have to shovel heat out of my driveway to move the car so since then I tolerate it better.

ummm... that's about it.

The Longnecker Zoo April 30, 2009 at 3:57 PM  

YEah girl. The south ROCKS!!! I love the hospitality too. The yes Ma'am thing I think should be manditory.

Tammy May 2, 2009 at 7:53 AM  

Yah, Yah, Yah... you love the south, I'm sure it's great...get back to Idaho! :)

Amanda July 7, 2009 at 1:49 PM  

I can't even tell you how much I love this post. Nearly as much as I love you, Miss Candi, bless your little heart!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP