Thursday, October 9, 2008

WARNING: Ranting Ahead

Okay so I have a bit of ranting to do. Remember I am using this blog for a journal of sorts so at times it may get a bit opinionated or personal...

So recently I had some blood work done at my Dr.'s office (this was not routine blood work by the way but instead a way of finding out if something was wrong). It was done a week ago Thursday and I was told by the lab tech that I could get the results Friday evening. Because Fridays are kind of 'close-up early' days at their office I decided I would call on Monday morning. I called on Monday and was told by my Dr's nurse that my Dr was out of town for a week. I had heard that this was the case but was still wandering if I could get my lab results. She said that the Dr. would be checking in and she would get back to me that day. That evening before they closed I called to check in. The nurse told me she hadn't heard from the Dr and would give her until the next morning before having another Dr in the practice look the lab results over. I thought this would be better because I really didn't want to bug my Dr on vacation if one of the other 14 Dr's in the practice could just look at them and let me know if all was good.

So Tuesday goes by with no word and then Wednesday goes by with no word so I call today (Thursday). The nurse tells me that my Dr hasn't checked in. I asked what about another Dr, she said that she hadn't had another Dr look at them. So I inquire how I can get these results, she says she'll try to get hold of my Dr today. I'm thinking "yeah right" but instead I express that I don't think it is odd that I should want my results and I don't mean to be annoying, but because there is another human inside me I don't want to be neglectful to her so I am taking a pro-active approach and following up with these results. She says that their office policy is kind of a ' no news is good news' one. Too which I tell her that the Dr has told me opposite and has been suprised when I have had no clue on the results of papsmears, diabetes testing etc. during this pregnancy. to which she pulls up my chart and trys to tell me that I have been contacted, but then realizes that it has always been me calling for results. So again she tells me she will call me back when the Dr gets back to her.

She did get back to me and tells me that she told my Dr that I felt I had been neglected - WHAT? I said 'I hope I am not being annoying, but I don't want to be neglectful so I am being pro-active and getting my lab results'! She then says everything looks fine but they are sending me on for more monitoring. I got the distinct impression that this is being done to appease me (or to calm me down which is how it really felt).

So my question is, am I really crazy for wanting my lab results especially since they weren't routine but to find out if something is wrong? And why do I feel that by calling and asking for them I am over-reacting and have become the nutty pregnant woman in their office....

GRRRRR - thus ends my rant, for now.

3 comments:

klonghall October 9, 2008 at 7:54 PM  

Idiots! I think after this baby is born, it's time to find a new doctor. I don't think you are asking too much. Reporting results of blood work should be standard protocol. Heck, this is 2008. If everything looks good, just send an email, or something, if you are too busy to pick up the dang phone!

Maybe Lars needs to go "Cheesecake Factory/sour cream" on them???

Nicole Bolinger October 10, 2008 at 6:44 AM  

No YOur not crazy!!! If it's not routine "no news is good news" is not gonna cut it. I mean you prego too for goodness sakes!

The Longnecker Zoo October 10, 2008 at 8:40 PM  

I agree with Kim. That is crazy and unprofessional. It is Your kid and your body that you are putting in someone else's hands, and putting food on their table because of it. Just pick up the phone and leave a message or drop an email. IT AIN'T THAT HARD!

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP